Deadline for Application: April 14, 2017
Background: From humble roots, producing just 18-million board feet of lumber in 1954, today, Seneca Sawmill Company currently includes three sawmills in Eugene, Oregon and one in Noti, Oregon, with production levels exceeding 650-million board feet. Supporting these operations is Seneca Jones Timber Company which sustainably manages 167,000 acres of timberlands that produces raw material for our sawmills. Our newest facility, Seneca Sustainable Energy, utilizes by-products from our forest and sawmill operations and produces 19.8 MW’s of renewable power (enough for 13,000 homes on an annual basis) which is utilized by our local community, plus steam for our on-site dry kilns. Collectively, these companies form the Seneca Family of Companies which support over 400 local family wage jobs. Seneca Sawmill Company is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Human Resources Manager. This person will manage and support all Human Resources services, policies, programs and functions for the Seneca Family of Companies. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual with a great attitude who is looking to work for a progressive wood products company built on sustainability and quality lumber products. The successful candidate will work amongst a high-performing, dynamic team and have a strong commitment to employee and management relations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the development and implementation of Human Resource policies, programs and services, including, but not limited to, recruitment, retention, legal compliance, employee relations, dispute resolution, discipline, and employment practices and procedures.
- Enhance employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance.
- Represent the organization at personnel-related hearings and investigations.
- Coordinate loss control efforts, investigate accidents/incidents, identify hazards, and understand Oregon/Federal OSHA regulations.
- Identify legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting Human Resource functions and ensure policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance.
- Ensure effective management of Workers’ Compensation claims and early return-to-work efforts.
- Assist with personnel policy interpretation/development and ensure consistent application.
- Manage and supervise the Human Resources staff (three direct reports).Manage the development and maintenance of a Human Resources Information System.
- Establish and lead the recruiting, testing and interviewing practices and programs, counsel managers on candidate selection.
- Prepare employee termination notices and related documents, conduct and analyze exit interviews and provide recommended changes.
- Conduct investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth and advise management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues, including disputes, performance or misconduct problems.
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to improve a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
- Survey local and regional compensation levels, make recommendations for internal wages, compensation and benefits.
- Administer benefits programs such as life, health and dental insurance, retirement, leave-of-absence and employee assistance.
- Manage the new-hire process and lead the development of benefit orientations and other benefit training.
- Recommend changes in benefits offered, especially new benefits aimed at employee satisfaction and retention.
- Lead company compliance with all existing governmental and labor, legal and government reporting requirements, including, but not limited to, the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Department of Labor, Workers’ Compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Direct the preparation of information requested or required for compliance with laws. Approve all information submitted. Serve as the primary contact with company legal counsel and outside government agencies on HR-related issues.
- Manage employee communication and feedback through avenues such as company meetings, suggestion programs, employee satisfaction surveys, newsletters, and one-on-one meetings.
- Assist managers with the selection and development of both internal and external training programs and consultants.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business or Organizational Development
- Minimum five years of progressive leadership experience in Human Resources positions
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law and practices, compensation, organizational planning, organizational development, employee relations, safety, and training development
- Experience supervising, training and evaluating Human Resource staff
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and documentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Specialized training in key Human Resource functions such as employment law, organizational development and employee relations
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations
- PHR or SPHR Certification
- Forest products experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be assigned to activities that require them to be in a Manufacturing environment with exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, extreme heat, and vibration. The employee may be occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Noise level in the manufacturing plant usually exceeds normal hearing conservation range of 80 dcb. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Seneca offers a very competitive wage and benefits package. Learn more about Seneca at www.senecasawmill.com.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to HR@senecasawmill.com no later than Friday, April 14, 2017. EEO/AA/M/F/Vet/Disability Employer